Sunday, April 1, 2012

4 weeks

There are officially 4 weeks left of the semester. I cannot wait. I have so much to do and I am just so so so tired of it all. I can't remember what it's like to relax without having a million things in the back of your head just waiting to be done. It's mentally exhausting.

The good news is that on Friday I was just cleared by the registrar to graduate. In order to do two internships my professor had to give me a hold over grade for last semester which gave me a "graduation block". The professor just released the grade and barring mass global destruction (ie spectacularly failing all of my classes) it looks like I am going to walk across the stage and get my fake diploma on May 22! When I think about this moment I have to admit that I get a little teary. Part of it is from wanting it all to be over so badly and part of is is from recognizing how damn hard I've work these past two years and realizing how much I've learned and how much my thinking about business has changed. I am incredibly incredibly proud of myself.

My last class started yesterday. It's a 4-week class (and bonus for me, I mis-read the syllabus and thought it was a 5-week class but yay! it's only 4) that meets all day on the next three Saturdays and one Friday night. The class is in nonprofit management and I really liked the teacher and it was nice to have so many experienced (read that as older, more mature) students in the class. The class is in the Masters of Public Administration degree program so I'm one of the only MBA students there. And boy is it obvious that I think about nonprofits like a "business" while they think of nonprofits as "groups that do good"! I'm glad I saved this one for the end.

The only rough spot ("only"!?! hahahaha) right now is the job search. I would love love love to work at my internship as a real, full-time employee after graduation. I'm doing some interesting work and I like the company and I think I would be a good fit for them. My boss and I danced around this topic a couple of weeks ago so I am in a show-them-how-awesome-I-am-and-what-an-asset-to-the-company mode which is kind of stressful. I just got onto a pretty big project with a few VPs that will start next week and I'm really excited for this opportunity to shine. On the other hand, I simply have not had any time to even look for any other jobs, much less send out any resumes, so if it doesn't work out I'm looking at a whole lot of (new) stress immediately after graduation. I'm sure everything will work out but right now I just want to punch a couple of my super smug classmates that already found jobs that keep saying "You've got to do something now - what do you mean you haven't been looking?!!?" Yeah, like I need to hear that all that time.

4 weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! 4 weeks! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! :-) It's been a blazing fast two years!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy and proud! Good for you!
    --VF

    ReplyDelete