Sunday, March 4, 2012

retired

I sold my triathlon wetsuit on Friday. My last race was in April 2008. I am officially retired from triathlon. I have no idea why I held on to it so long. When I moved back to New England I had grandiose ideas that I would join the local triathlon scene here and continue on in a sport that meant a great deal to me while living in SoCal. When I drove across country I found I didn't really miss my bike. Running has always been my true love so I was happy for the opportunity to run more. The summer I arrived in New England was the summer of crazy rain storms where the sky would just open up for a few hours in the afternoon and drench everything. I've never been crazy about riding in the rain. By the time fall came around I was ready to ride. I rode a few times but the riding is different here. The roads are in bad shape and there aren't miles of bike paths; you ride with cars, in traffic. I thought about finding a pool but never did. The swim was always my least favorite part of triathlon.

And yet, I still thought of myself as a triathlete and still fantasized about racing again. I would see groups of triathletes out for a group ride and think that I was still like they were, that I would be joining them just as soon as I ran out of excuses. The more time that passed, the less I wanted to be part of it all. It's like I knew that moving back east was the end. Triathlon was such a big part of my life in California. I loved it. I loved training and racing and being part of something bigger than myself. And I loved being fit and strong and knowing that I could accomplish just about any physical task that came my way. But I didn't like how crazy it made me, how easily it fed into my obsessive nature and how little time it left for anything else. I had to take a break after my bike crash and I found it really hard to get back into it afterwards and then I became preoccupied with getting out of California. It would be too easy to make a big metaphor out of all of this and say subconsciously that I was just ready for a Big Change and was ready to leave triathlon behind, but I think it's kind of true.

Change is hard and giving up something that was essentially my identity for seven years is really hard. So I held on to my wetsuit and silly fantasies about racing again, or even riding my bike again. But the passion I once had for the sport never came back and it just became absurd to look at my wetsuit hanging in my closet every time I went to get my coat. So I posted it on CraigsList and sold it to a women who said she was going to trash it while caving. It's bittersweet. I am glad to put that part of my life behind me but it's also a little hard to let go. Aside from school and all the related stress, I am generally in a good place. I'll never do another triathlon again and I am happier for it.

3 comments:

  1. I think of you, and always will, as a triathlete. A champion who has conquered many challenges, many physical challenges; it's a part of what has made you who you are now. What I see is someone who sets goals, works her a$$ off to achieve them with something like single minded focus, and moves forward to the next thing, whatever that turns out to be. Therefore, CONGRATULATIONS on continuing to grow and know yourself better and better. In record time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks :-) It's actually kind of a relief to let it go and move on with my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur with Slangred!You go! :)

    -VF

    ReplyDelete