Wednesday, June 20, 2012

oooh la la Quebec City!

As I suffered through the spring semester I had to get out of town to reset.  So I went to Quebec City over the weekend!  Though I did have a major job hunt waiting for me on the way back (which was the cause of some tears at breakfast on our last morning), it was really really nice to get away, see some sights and relax.  This is my third trip to Quebec City since I've moved back to MA; the first was for the Winter Carnival and the second ended up being during the Summer Carnival.  This one was just a random weekend in June, during a mini-heat wave - temps were in the mid-80s, about 20 degrees higher than they were in MA!  Here's what I saw:

Le Chateau Frontenac and boardwalk never disappoint.  I took this pic while running on Saturday - the boardwalk is typically mobbed with tourists and street performers. 
I loved the flower boxes under all of the windows.
It's only an 8 hr drive from Boston but old Quebec has a very European flair that I adore. 
I've seen these giant purple puffballs around Boston but have no idea what they're called.  They might just be my new favorite flower :-)
It's strawberry season in Quebec!  On Saturday, I drove slightly out of the city to Montmoreny Falls (I'd never been on a sunny day) and then drove around L'ile d'Orleans which is across the street from the Falls.  I stopped at a couple of local farm stands to buy these perfect berries which were amazing!  Over the course of the weekend, I ate nearly 6 containers this size.  I'm surprised I don't look like a strawberry. 
Montmorency Falls.  On a side note - to the right of the falls in the picture, there are a set of stairs where sadistic people with in shape calf muscles can walk to the top of the falls (you can also take a funicular or drive around and park at the top of the falls).  When I arrived, I saw a huge group of people in white t-shirts walking up and down the steps.  I figured it was some kind of sporting event.  Come to find out, it was a group walking up and down 60 times.  Apparently 60 times up and down is the same as hiking Mt Kilimanjaro.
Quebec City is situated on the St Lawrence and was built as an old fort.  As you walk around the city, up and down the hills, it's easy to see why this was such a perfect site for the fort.  Some of the hills are so steep that stairs replace the steps.  There is also a funicular that transports people between old Quebec (by the waterfront) and the first upper level (where the Frontenac, the hotels, shops, dining, etc are).
A view of the farmland on L'ile d'Orleans.  This was an absolutely gorgeous drive which took me close to two hours (with stops for strawberries and taking in the views) to drive around the perimeter.
I do love Quebec but it is very touristy and thus very expensive.  With all of the adorable side streets and buildings it's easy to forget that it has a very active fort. 
Fountain in front of one of the civic buildings.
One of the things I love about Quebec is that the province is 80% French speaking and 20% English speaking so it's a great opportunity to practice my French.  Most people in Old Quebec are bilingual were very friendly and helpful about my rusty French speaking skills.  The further outside of the city you go, the less likely people are to speak English.  Fortunately, I know how to ask "How much for a container of strawberries?", "Yes, I would like a bag please" and negotiate payment in French :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment