Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 recap

Hello blog.  How've you been?  I see that I haven't posted since June.  My hiatus was both intentional and unintentional.  Sometimes, I just don't see the point of blogging.  I frequently have nothing noteworthy to say.  And sometimes I just don't have much I want to say (admit) publicly.  I would love to fill this blog with pictures and stories of adventures and travels but I didn't go anywhere this year (seriously, I think I left my state 5 times?  and went to the states immediately surrounding mine?).  Sometimes I want to tell the world that I'm still here and I still exist. So I'm posting today.

Around New Year's in the past, I've publicly shared my goals for the new year and reviewed the closing year.  I'm still thinking about my goals for 2014 but I'm not sure I'll share them here.  2013 has been an interesting year and I've learned a lot but I'm not sure it will go down in the annals as one of the best years of my life. 

10 Things I Learned in 2013:

1. The heart heals.  And later, when you least expect it, the heart can soar once again.

2. Taking a step backwards is sometimes necessary to take a step forward.  To be honest, I haven't learned this completely yet.  I'm starting a new job in January.  In a small way, it's a big step backward but I'm hoping ultimately it will move me a lot further ahead in my career.

3. Always wear a skirt to Costco.  Sometimes the siren call of $20 skinny jeans is so loud you have no choice but to answer.  It's a lot easier to try them on under a skirt than fully undress in the furniture aisle.

4. The body heals.  Yesterday I ran for about 20 minutes.  I think this was the longest run in over a year(?).  I re-injured my hip in July, halting the progress I made from injuring my hamstrings in 2012.  I'm over the moon with my 20 minute run; it's taken me a really long time to get there.

5. I have no room for snarky/mean people in my life.  It seems like our culture prides itself on being mean and snarky just to get a laugh or a "like".  I don't get it.  I'd like to start a nice movement.

6. I'm officially old. I don't get Miley Cyrus, the buzz about Beyonce's new album, or leggings.  I don't use Tumblr or Spotify and I found Orange is the New Black dreadfully boring.  Every day I spy another set of grey hair and I haven't stayed out past 10pm since I don't know when (I've stayed up that late but I've been at home). 

7. Things are always changing.  All year I took a picture at the same place, at approximately the same time, while walking to work.  I hope to make them into a video once I figure out how.  I did it because sometimes it feels like nothing is changing and I'm not moving forward.  When I look at the pictures it's so obvious to me that things are always changing.  Daylight ebbs and flows, spring comes to life and fades away, and snow melts and is replaced by more snow.  The cycle continues. 

8.  I miss yoga.  I don't miss my obsession with it or how competitive I felt with the "yoga mummies" in the morning classes at the studio I liked.  But I miss stretching.  And breathing.  For the past six months I've been doing a few poses on the weekends in my living room.  When I first started I was shocked at how weak I was but now the poses make me feel strong.

9. There are two kinds of honesty: not lieing and withholding the truth.  The second kind gives me nightmares and makes me angry at myself.  I'm working on letting it go.  Some days are easier than others. 

10.  I have gained a rudimentary understanding of football.  Go Patriots! :-) 

Happy 2014!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you did your re-cap. It's a lot of work for you, but I am always glad when you post it. I agree about the "nice" movement. I think there is a lot of peer pressure to be "hip" and that often means "sarcastic." I don't have any use for that. It just brings me down. But being nice and showing kindness, even when I'm in a challenging situation, really lifts me and I see life more gently. I can't wait to see your photo collage. You could try some of the very thrifty time lapse or stop motion iPhone or iPad apps. I don't know if you have an iPhone, the apps may be available for other devices too. You can load photos into the software and then choose how much time to stay on each photo. Anyhow, write to me if you want more info. Thank you again for doing your year-end round-up and congrats on your new job. Good for you for daring to take a risk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year!

    --VF

    ReplyDelete